TestDaF-German as a Foreign Language tests in Austria
The TestDaF (Deutsch als Fremdsprache) refers to “German as a foreign language“. TestDaF is regulated by TestDaF Institute and is an internationally recognized and globally standardised language examination, testing language proficiency of non-native German Speakers. The TestDaF exam is the language aptitude that makes admission to a Higher Education Institution in Austria easier. The duration of TestDaF is 3 hours 10 minutes and the TestDaF certificate is valid for an unlimited time period.
Structure of TestDaF
TestDaF comprises of four sections, namely, reading comprehension, written expression, oral expression/speaking and listening comprehension. The reading comprehension, listening comprehension and written expression parts of the exam is tested in a classroom context, while the oral examination is performed by speaking to a computer.
- Reading Comprehension: It consists of 3 reading passages with 30 questions to answer. You need to read, understand and answer the questions. In this section, you need to show that you can comprehend texts that have thematic and linguistic importance to universities. The total time allotted for this section is 60 minutes.
- Written Expression: In this section, one writing piece is given to the applicants wherein their writing ability is tested, like style, correctness, consistency, etc. Here, you need to prove that you can write a coherent and clearly structured text about a specific topic. In the first part of the text, you need to describe a graphical picture while in the second part of the text, you need to explain your opinion about a question presented for discussion. The total time to complete this section is 60 minutes.
- Oral Expression: Applicants need to demonstrate their German language skills. This section comprises of 7 writings at varying degrees of difficulty. The applicants are required to react in various situations at university, like discussions with fellow students, conveying your opinion on a particular topic, or forming hypotheses. The total time given to complete this section is 30 minutes.
- Listening Comprehension: It comprises of 3 audio-pieces with 25 questions to answer. You will need to carry out tasks that require an understanding of the overall structure as well as detailed and implicit information. The duration of this section is 40 minutes.
TestDaF Scoring and Results-
Each section is graded independently according to the following three grading levels:
- TestDaF-Grading Level 3 (TDN 3)
- TestDaF-Grading Level 4 (TDN 4)
- TestDaF-Grading Level 5 (TDN 5)
The result below TDN 3 refers to failing. In this case, all sections of the test will have to be repeated.
Applicants for a place at university or University of applied science must reach a minimum of TestDaF-Level 4 in every section of the tests. A score of TDN 5 indicates that you are proficient in German language.
Within six weeks the applicants would receive a certificate issued by the Test Centre. The certificate shows the grades of all parts of the tests and the detailed description of the reached level.
TestDaF Dates and Deadlines
The TestDaF is held six times a year at test centers throughout the world and in Austria
TestDaF Registration and Fees
To register for TestDaF, fill out an application form online on Form
. Pay the examination fee by Visa card or debit entry or directly to the TestDaF Institute. You will receive a receipt of the payment made and a confirmation mail as well.
The fee varies from year to year. Check the official website for the fee details.